[This is Part # 6 of a 20 Part Series to Improve Your Strengths] — Take the Strengths TEST
Quote: “Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work at hand. The sun’s rays do not burn until brought to a focus.” -Alexander Graham Bell
Definition: “maximum clarity or distinctness of an idea”
I have a couple kids and I want to say that it’s hasn’t ever really been apparent to me what a true application of focus means until these wonderful blessings came into my life. It isn’t until these breathing, eating, screaming, and absolutely wonderful little creatures look back up at you and know all you care for is them right now at this moment that you realize everything else in the world completely stops and becomes less important.
Of course, this also makes it absolutely plainly evident what doesn’t matter in your life. For instance, I’ve never received a letter from the Home Owners Association (HOA) about not mowing my lawn and having weeds that are taller than kids. That is, until I had my own.
It isn’t until one focuses on the things that are most important to them, and those around them, that it becomes plainly obvious what truly matters in the world. Just imagine if we’re able to harness and learn how to focus in this manner, how the rest of our lives would change for the better… though the HOA might not like us.
Identify Your 70% Plan for the Future – Refine As You Go
I recently ran across an absolutely wonderful little gem in “The Upside of Turbulence” by Donald Sull. It was mentioned how the Marines plan for 70% of what they’re going to do on their missions, while they adapt to the rest (or the remaining 30%).
Think about that for little while… if one of the most effective, surgical, absolutely focused groups of hard-line warriors only plan for 70% of what they are going to do and do a marvelous job of it… why the heck am I trying to plan for 100% on everything I do?
You might not think this makes a very big deal, however, it has been shown, specifically with SMART goals, that making your goal attainable is a key factor in determining whether or not you complete it. Remember 70% is not saying you have to do 70% – it is saying that is your minimum and you can feel free to continue to aim for greater. But know that you know 70% is your goal and anything above that is just gravy.