Too often, we’re in line, at a store, or just plain waiting around and are surrounded by people we don’t know. Does this make you uncomfortable, uneasy, or are you right at home and happy with this?
Whether you’re a master of small talk or a complete introvert makes a big difference in how well you handle these types of situations. They can be chances for advances or just another boring line ripping minutes away from your life. I prefer to take the positive approach, but your mileage may vary!
I created a survey and polled several hundred people about personalities and how this interesting topic affects their lives. What follows is their raw, personal, and highly enlightening experiences, opinions, and feelings. I did clean up the language a bit where it was needed, but the survey results here are about as blunt as can be. I’m hoping they’ll help you see just how important personality is in your life.
How would you describe your personality to a stranger?
- I’m a rather carefree guy. I like what I like which is a lot, but that can change in a snap. I can be forgetful and rude sometimes but I don’t always mean to be. And if I’m being rude or weird or mean, I’m comfortable around you! I can sometimes get a bit too friendly and touchy-feely. If I like you, don’t offend me and that won’t change.
- Bubbly, outgoing with a great sense of humor. I’m willing to help anyone in need and when I’m in, I’m all in. Not necessarily a happy personality, but a funny personality, I guess.
- I would say that I am a moody person, more moody than I would like to be. I would say that I am very generous; I take pleasure in sharing and feel some guilt when I’m in a position to share something but am not able to.And I would say that I sometimes lack self-control, and when I lose my temper it shows a dark side of me which I am increasingly aware of. It’s obvious to me that after I lose my temper, I feel guilty and sad. I have improved regarding myself control and continue to work on it.
- I would describe my personality as very outgoing and social. I am easy to talk to and a good listener. I understand people and I make friends very easily.
- Being bipolar is more than just a mental illness, it also means my personality is a mixture of contradictions. I like being neat, organized and methodical in life but most of the time I’m happiest when things are spur of the moment.I love schedules, but I get bored with redundancy and need constant change in my life. I’m very compassionate, but I’m very selective on those I let close to me. I’m very back and forth in terms of what works best for me and because of it I’m a bit of an unpredictable person.
- I am fairly easy going. I am willing to help anyone at any time. I do not like to be taken advantage of.
- I would say to a stranger that I am friendly but not stupid. I would also say that I am a learner and always want to be improving or learning more about things. Lastly, I would say that I’m quiet in a crowd but not when I am one on one with people.
- I have good leadership qualities and am confident of myself. I’m able to keep a calm and level head whenever I am in situations of stress. I would like to consider myself someone who can relate to anyone and any culture and background. It allows me to make very personal connections with everyone I meet.
- I am a kind-hearted caring individual that looks out for others. I try to help in any way possible and I am always looking out for my family. I have a good view on life and I am the happiest I have ever been.
- I would tell them that I’m a honest and hardworking individual. I am usually busy and like to pursue my goals wholeheartedly. I have a tendency to hold on to things from the past and can be bitter at times.
- I am an extremely determined person. No matter what, I will push through limitations and adversity to try and get what I want, and what is best for myself and those around me. Beyond that, I am extremely compassionate and kind, and will do everything and anything for my friends.
- I am a caring and intelligent person. I would do anything for my family and everything I do is basically looking out for their needs. I love children a lot and am always looking into everything that has to do with them.Like finding new crafts, events or activities, fun recipes to make for them, or new findings in development or strategies for teaching. I love reading all the time whether it be to my children or enjoy a good Stephen King novel or reading recent studies.I also really like to cook! I’m always looking for new recipes to make or foods to try. I’m also pretty well known for having the Food Network running in my house. You can never have too many ideas!
- I am a very happy and compassionate person. I enjoy sharing things and talking to people about a variety of things. I have a quick wit and love to laugh about everything under the sun. I can be quiet at first, but once you get to know me, I don’t shut up. I am fun loving, but serious when necessary. I have a logical mind but understand and feel emotions as well.
- I am a calm and reserved person. That said, I would not pay special attention to a stranger. At moments, I would rather ignore the being of a stranger and do my own thing.
- My personality is kind of complex. I take a lot of time to get used to new people- before I feel comfortable with you, I’m very quiet and reserved. Once I get to know you, I’m a completely different person- I’m sarcastic, outspoken, and silly.
- I’m actually a bit of an introvert; I rarely talk about myself. However most people think I am a terrific conversationalist since I always steer the conversation so that other people wind up talking about themselves. Also, I am knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects so can engage just about anyone in conversation (if I choose to).
- I’m a hard working person who doesn’t like to give up. I strive for what I want and keep my goals in mind 24/7. This allows me to see exactly what I want and plan on how I will get it.
- I’m analytical and deliberative. Sometimes that makes me overly cautious, other times it makes me overly calculating. However, none of that changes the fact that I have my own strong sense of ethics. I always trying to improve myself as a person and act more in line with my aspirations. I’m looking for that same reflectiveness in others.
- I’m somewhat conservative. This means that I’m reserved. I also tend to be quiet.
- I am a trustworthy, honest, and humble person. I am very meticulous with my work and I work very hard. I love to be sociable and I am described as a calm and relax person.
- I would like to think my personality is the same always but to be honest … it probably isn’t. To a stranger I am probably polite and don’t say too much since I’m not sure who the person is. I’m more reserved these days to begin with, even with my friends, so with a stranger I would say I tend to keep things a lot more general.
- I am outgoing and love people. I am truthful, honest and sincere. I love myself and the world around me. I love my family and do everything I can to make sure they have what they need. I love nature, animals and kids.
- I would say that I am independent and determined. I am highly introverted but most people do not know that until they get to know me because I put on a really good “extrovert” front. I am extremely sensitive and an over thinker. I am Type A to a point.
- 3 things about my personality to know right off would be, I enjoy cracking jokes. I don’t enjoy being sad or angry all the time. I would also say I’m adventurous and enjoy the outdoors!
- I would describe myself as bubbly and very nice. The first time I meet anyone, I try to be very social and I ask a lot of question. I just want friends so badly, I try to do anything for them.
How do you think you can apply these personal insights into the personalities and opinions of other folks out there just like you? Please share your thoughts below.