Whether you’re just starting or you’re continuing education, the knowledge that comes with a degree is priceless. Are you stuck in advancing your career? Not sure where to go from where you’re at? A year away from graduating and looking for what’s next?
It’s time to put all of that energy of yours into looking for the next level of knowledge in your brain. It’s time to get some education inside, right?
People from all walks of life consider this very important decision so you’re not alone. What’s your reason? What’s your driving passion to get out there and get more schooling under your belt?
9 Major Reasons to Go Back to School
Here are some very important reasons why people go back to school:
- Meeting and greeting with like-minded people:
Whether that’s just folks of the same age or the same mindset, it can be really refreshing to get back into the thick of things with those who share common interests with you. The same old cube-mates at work just not stimulating your mind anymore? You might just need to find a buddy to study business accounting with to get your internal gears going again.
- Get a sample of what’s to come:
Not sure you want to commit the next half a decade of your life to a new path of education? No problem! Take a class or two in the curriculum for the path you think you want to take and see how it fits the bill. Not only will you learn very quickly what you think of the classes, but you’ll also have a new set of skills to apply to your job and life.
- Finishing the degree you started:
Took a couple of classes years ago? Made it to senior year with only a few more credit hours to go? Well, now’s a better time than never to get a few more hours under your belt and get that degree that’s been missing from your career advancement discussions with your boss.
- Mental exercise in later years:
Soduku or crossword puzzles not doing it for you anymore? Tired of watching another funky show on your TV or phone? Maybe you’d like to take on a challenge that’ll keep your mind moving and your skillset growing. Research has shown that a stimulated mind is an active mind and much less prone to those mental pitfalls associated with gaining age. Take some classes and gain some brain wrinkles already!
- Prepare for career transitions:
Some folks are lucky enough to know when the ax is coming down on their department. Why do I say that? Because they’re given the head’s up that it’s time to go get whatever skills they need to move on to the next job. Why wait for the ax only to have to do your learning without a job for the next job you need? That’s not good planning, folks. Get prepared for any career transition coming your way as early as possible and you won’t be sorry when the pink slips go flying.
- Feeling better inside:
I know, I know. You think personal development and self help is just a bunch of funky non-sense and couldn’t care less about it, right? Well, I’m here to tell you that you might just be surprised what a boost to your confidence, self worth, and esteem can come with achieving new heights on your own. Do you feel a new take on learning in life might add to your own life in some way? There’s potential in the maybe!
- Advancement in your current career:
Sometimes we get into kind of a rut at our current workplace without any clear path to the next tier. Or is it really that unclear? Maybe you know exactly what you need to do next and that involves taking on a new set of skills or knowledge-bases that you don’t currently have. You’re only a few classes away from removing this roadblock, my friend.
- Direction on where to go next:
Stagnation. Yes, this can be the same as just seeking greater advancement in your career, but I’m talking about some real change of pace here. Does your corporate job just not do it for you anymore? Do you want to finally make a real difference in the world but you feel like just another cog in the machine where you’re at? It might just be time to see what it’ll take to move to that new industry, new business, or new area of your professional life.
- Major life changes get you interested:
The biggest events in our lives can really do a number on our motivations and interest in daily happenings. Have you ever had a major accident, child birth, death in the family, or similar major change? These are the kinds of life-altering milestones that can pull you toward making some permanent growth in your life. Maybe it’s time to use that motivational fire and drive to get ahead?
Do any of these ring true for you? How about this reality check?
You may just have a brighter future ahead if you’ll spend a little time investing in yourself instead of those you work for or with. Sure, continue to be the awesome person you are for them, but it’s time you put some of that effort back into YOU!
Take a look at some of the worth-while schools and see if anything sparks your interest.
Schools By State
- Alabama (AL)
- Alaska (AK)
- Arizona (AZ)
- Arkansas (AR)
- California (CA)
- Colorado (CO)
- Connecticut (CT)
- Delaware (DE)
- Florida (FL)
- Georgia (GA)
- Hawaii (HI)
- Idaho (ID)
- Illinois (IL)
- Indiana (IN)
- Iowa (IA)
- Kansas (KS)
- Kentucky (KY)
- Louisiana (LA)
- Maine (ME)
- Maryland (MD)
- Massachusetts (MA)
- Michigan (MI)
- Minnesota (MN)
- Mississippi (MS)
- Missouri (MO)
- Montana (MT)
- Nebraska (NE)
- Nevada (NV)
- New Hampshire (NH)
- New Jersey (NJ)
- New Mexico (NM)
- New York (NY)
- North Carolina (NC)
- North Dakota (ND)
- Ohio (OH)
- Oklahoma (OK)
- Oregon (OR)
- Pennsylvania (PA)
- Rhode Island (RI)
- South Carolina (SC)
- South Dakota (SD)
- Tennessee (TN)
- Texas (TX)
- Utah (UT)
- Vermont (VT)
- Virginia (VA)
- Washington (WA)
- West Virginia (WV)
- Wisconsin (WI)
- Wyoming (WY)
Schools Near You
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Human Services Management
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- BS in Business Administration
- MS in Accounting - Audit Specialization
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Top-ranked online MBA
- As few as 24 months to complete
- GMAT waivers for experienced professionals
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Six concentrations available
- AACSB accredited
- Master of Business Adminitration (MBA)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Ministry: Evangelism & Church Planting
- M.Div: Homiletics
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership - Organizational Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- And more...
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- Associate of Arts - Early Childhood.
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - International Business
- Master of Arts in Homeland Security
- And more...
- Cloud Technologies Bachelors - Online
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- And more...
- Class A CDL Driving Programs
The University of Denver’s Graduate School of Social Work (GSSW) prepares students to fight for social change through its traditional Master of Social Work (MSW) program delivered online. The 90-credit program can be completed in as few as 27 months and is designed for students who earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than social work from a regionally accredited college or university. Traditional MSW students complete both the foundation curriculum and concentration curriculum in Mental Health and Trauma.
- Master of Social Work (MSW)